DAVIS, W.Va., June 14, 2018 – Learn the fundamentals from experts in the field who understand how to utilize wilderness skills in a modern world at Canaan Valley Resort in West Virginia’s Potomac Highlands.
The resort is offering a series of classes this summer designed to teach people how to build shelter, make fire, navigate the back-country and identify and forage for food. At the end of the day participants can return to the lodge for a cold beverage, nice meal and comfortable room.
“All back-country recreation enthusiasts risk getting lost or stranded for a short time in the outdoors.” said Steve Drumheller, general manager of the resort. “Our wilderness survival classes teach you how to survive – and even thrive – in such situations.”
Workshops all last two hours, except for Edible Plants. Those under 12 are free if accompanied by a paying adult. Programs this summer include:
· Edible Plants: This two-hour instructional hike will take place June 23, July 7, Aug. 18 and 25 and Sept. 1 and 29. Participants will learn which plants are safe to eat, which weeds and trees can be used to help start a fire, get a drink, find a meal, make a rope, stop an itch and heal a wound.
· Wilderness Skills Outdoor Class: To be conducted Aug. 18 and Sept. 1, this workshop is designed to prepare the “Ultimate Survival Kit.” Topics covered will include making fires using natural and man-made materials, emergency signaling, building shelters to beat hypothermia, collecting scarce water, building traps and telling time and direction.
· Bow Drill Friction Fire Workshop: This workshop will be held July 7 and will focus on the process used to start a fire using a fire drill.
· Survival Snares and Traps Workshop. This workshop will take place June 23. Using designs from around the world, participants will construct various snares and traps using natural materials. The instructor will detail the proper use of a survival knife and folding saw as well as techniques for cleaning, locating and setting snares and traps to be most effective.
· Back Country Navigation Workshop. This program will be held June 23 and Aug. 25 and is designed for people who want to learn natural navigation and to further their skills using a map and compass.
Canaan Valley Resort is a four seasons destination with a wide array of adventures and a variety of guest rooms and cabins. On-site activities include an 18-hole championship golf course, scenic chairlift rides, sporting clay shooting range, hiking and biking trails, bike rentals, resort boards, miniature golf, Euro-bungy/climbing wall, Turtle slide and indoor/outdoor pools.
Canaan Valley Resort is in northeast West Virginia approximately 2½ hours from Washington, D.C., three hours from Pittsburgh and 2¾ hours from Charleston, W.Va.
Guest room reservations can be made online or by calling 1-800-622-4121.
Canaan Valley Resort is owned by the state of West Virginia and managed by Sioux Falls, S.D.-based U.S. Hotels and Resort Management, Inc., which operates hotels, resorts, state park lodges, golf courses and restaurants in 13 states throughout the West and Midwest.