YOUR LESSON IS IMPORTANT TO US. WE RECOMMEND YOU ARRIVE WITH ADEQUATE TIME (1 HOUR) PRIOR TO YOUR LESSON AS TO NOT FEEL RUSHED.
Own the Slopes
Learning to ski or snowboard allows people the freedom to explore the outdoors, gain confidence in themselves, and develop skills that last a lifetime. The mission of our Snowsports School is to give you and your family an experience to remember while leading you toward success on snow.
Canaan Valley Snowsports School is a certified PSIA/AASI member school. Our approach to instruction and the techniques we promote are in accordance with Professional Ski Instructors of America and the American Association of Snowboard Instructors. Not only does this mean cutting edge, modern instruction but it also ensures the skills you learn are consistent with those taught at almost every major ski area nationwide.
Learn to ski at Canaan Valley Resort, a premier family ski destination with ideal terrain for those new to skiing or snowboarding! We've dedicated more than 30 percent of our terrain to beginners including:
- Critters Crawl: a dedicated beginner area perfect for first time sliders. Critters Crawl features a magic carpet surface lift making getting back up the slope a breeze.
- Timber Trail: wind scenically down the mountain on this 1.25 mile guest favorite.
Ski & Ride Snowsports School Resources: Advance reservations are required.
- Lesson Times: 9:30 AM, 11 AM, 1 PM, 2:30 PM (1-hour in duration)
- Half Day Lesson Times: 9:30 AM or 1 PM (2.5-hours in duration)
- Please report 10-minutes prior to lesson time for line-up.
- Lesson availability is limited, and reservations are strongly encouraged.
- You may call Canaan Snowsports School for more info at 304-866-2223. Please call us if you are booking a private ski lesson or a snowboard lesson. If you are booking a group lesson, please go to ski.canaanresort.com.
- Please refer to the Levels Chart below before calling for a reservation.
What To Wear
Wear layers for warmth. Water resistant pants, jacket and waterproof gloves are a must. Wear only ONE pair of socks, preferably ski socks, and do not tuck your pants into your boots. Goggles are a best to wear on cold, snowy days; sunglasses and sunscreen on sunny days. We certainly recommend wearing helmets!
Check the Trails
Always check our Trail Report before going up the mountain. Grab a trail map for your pocket.
What to Eat
Hydrate! Winter sports are dehydrating, so drink plenty of water and have a great breakfast or lunch before hitting the slopes. Be sure to take breaks if needed during your lesson.
Know Your Skill Level
See below under Skiing and Snowboard Levels
PLEASE ARRIVE WITH ADEQUATE TIME PRIOR TO YOUR LESSON!
COVID 19 Protocols
Canaan Resort will be continuing the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) “Ski Well. Be Well.” COVID-19 safety operating procedures for this ski season. For more information about the the NSAA’s new policies, we encourage you to visit www.nsaa.org/skiwellbewell.
- Ages 12 +, $45 non Holiday, $50 Saturday/Holiday
- Lesson times: 9:30AM, 11:00AM, 1:00PM, 2:30PM, one hour duration.
- Snowboarding groups may be limited based on instructor availability.
Children’s Half Day
- Ages 6-8 Limited to two students.
- Ages 9-12 Limited to six students.
- Lesson times: 9:30AM to 12:00PM and 1:00PM to 3:30PM
- $160 non Holiday.
- $180 Holiday and Saturdays.
- Children under the age of 6 will require a private lesson. Please call our Snowsports School to schedule these lessons at 304-866-2223.
- Children’s half day snowboarding lessons are not offered at this time.
Private and Semi Private
Focus on your specific ski/board goals with a private lesson. Our instructors will work with you and your needs for improving your skills – but we will also accommodate beginner students who want more personalized instruction.
- Lessons are based upon availability. Call 304-866-2223 to reserve a spot.
- One Hour Private $130, $65 for additional student.
- One Hour Private on Saturdays and Holidays $150, $75 for additional student.
- Half Day Private $225, $85 for additional student.
- Half Day Private on Saturday and Holidays $250, $90 for additional student.
- I. First time on skis.
- II. You can turn slightly & stop in a wedge position.
- III. You can make linked wedge turns on easiest runs.
- IV. You can make controlled wedge turns with a parallel finish.
- V. You can bring your skis parallel at the finish of the turn on easy blue runs.
- VI. You can ski most blue runs with a slight wedge opening at the start of the turn and finish in a parallel – use a pole touch
- VII. You can easily make open-stance parallel turns with pole touch on blue runs.
- VIII. You are able to make a good parallel turn on most black runs with good speed control
- IX. You are a strong parallel skier in bumps, powder, steeps and ski all black runs comfortably.
I. I am new to snowboarding.
II. I am comfortable riding the lift and can make a controlled stop.
III. I am comfortable connecting turns on green terrain and have started exploring blue terrain.
IV. I am comfortable connecting turns on blue terrain and have started exploring black terrain.
V. I am comfortable connecting turns on black terrain and have started exploring steeps, bumps, trees and terrain parks.
VI. I am comfortable riding steep terrain, bumps, trees and terrain parks.
Take your skiing to the next level and perfect your skills with this all-day instructional program coached by a PSIA Level 2/3 certified instructor with master teacher credentials. Program includes:
- Full-Day Private with video and analysis (weather permitting)
- Level – Intermediate to Advanced Skiers
- Up to two additional people can be added with similar levels for additional fee
- Lunch included
- By reservation only – 3 days in advance
Instructors and exam-prep participants welcome
- Price: $375 – Additional person $100/person
Book this lesson by calling our snow sports office at 304-866-2223.
Have questions or want to book a lesson?
Lessons are limited, please call or visit the Ski School Office to schedule a lesson.